Open as PDF
Minidisc Player Unit
• Do not alter or remodel the unit as this can cause malfunctioning.
• Do not alter or impact the unit as this may damage it.
• Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can cause malfunctioning.
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
2. Warehouses and other dusty places.
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
• Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time as this may deform
or discolor the cabinet and may also cause malfunctioning.
Precautions for listening with the headphones
• Do not play your headset at a high volume. Hearing experts advise against continuous ex-
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use.
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create traffic hazard and is illegal in
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use in potentially hazardous
• Even if your headphones are an open-air type designed to let you hear outside sounds, don’t
turn up the volume so high that you can’t hear what’s around you.
When driving a car
• In the interest of traffic safety, do not use the minidisc player while driving a vehicle.
The battery indicator appears on the remote control display. When the indicator appears as be-
low, power will be shut off a short while after.
Rechargeable battery: Recharge it.
y: Replace it with new one.
• The battery indicator appears when an MD is loaded into the minidisc player.
• The battery indicator also appears when the AC adaptor is used. However, this no meaning.
PORTABLE MINIDISC PLAYER
*Use numbers indicated in parentheses when asking for replacement parts.
AC adaptor (AA-R9020) 1 pc.
Headphones 1 pc.
Wired remote control 1 pc.
Charger/adaptor (AC-R124) 1 pc.
Check the packing carton for these accessories.
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting operation to be sure to obtain opti-
mum performance and a longer service life from your minidisc player.
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR
PERFORMANCE OF PROCEDURES OTHER
THAN THOSE SPECIFIED HEREIN MAY RESULT
IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT REPAIR
YOURSELF. REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC
SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO
RAIN OR MOISTURE.
Rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery (BN-R1210) 1 pc.
Dry-cell battery case 1 pc.
Carrying pouch 1 pc.
Using the rechargeable Ni-MH battery (included)
Remove the rechargeable battery from its case.
Insert the rechargeable battery into the charger/adaptor.
Set the switch on the charger/adaptor to “CHARGER”.
Connect the AC adaptor to the charger/adaptor.
The charge indicator will initially light red. It will go out when recharg-
ing is completed. When recharging is complete, unplug the AC adap-
tor from the AC outlet and the charger/adaptor.
Remove the recharged battery from the charger/adaptor and insert
it into the minidisc player.
• You cannot use the MD player while charging the rechargeable battery.
• It takes approximately 2 hours to recharge the rechargeable battery.
• The rechargeable battery has a service life of approximately 300 charge-discharge cycles. If
the operating time on one full charge becomes noticeably shorter than it used to be, the bat-
tery has reached the end of its service life and should be replaced.
• The AC adaptor and rechargeable battery may become warm while recharging. This is not a
• When recharging the rechargeable battery which was left unused for a long time, the charge
indicator may not light immediately. It will light in a few minutes.
Refer to the specifications for information on operating time durations when using a recharge-
able battery, dry-cell battery, a or both together.
Using the AC adaptor
CAUTION: “Be sure there is no battery in the minidisc player or in the
dry-cell battery case.”
Attach the battery case to the minidisc player.
Turn the knob on the battery case toward “LOCK” until it stops. (To detach the battery
case, turn the knob toward “RELEASE” until the battery case comes loose.)
Set the switch on the charger/adaptor to “ADAPTOR”.
Connect the AC adaptor to the charger/adaptor, and the charger/
adaptor to the battery case.
• The minidisc player is in a standby mode when the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor are connected.
• The primary circuit is “live” as long as the AC adaptor is connected to an electrical outlet.
• Before replacing batteries, always turn the minidisc player off.
Rechargeable Ni - MH battery :
• Use only the rechargeable battery BN-R1210 (supplied) or BN-R127 (not supplied) with this
• If the power delivered by the battery lasts for a very short time after recharging, it means
that the battery’s service life is over. Do not use it any more.
• Recharging an already charged battery will shorten its service life.
• When recharging a battery for the first time, or when it has not been used for a long period
of time, the play time may be shorter than usual. In a case like this, repeatedly recharge and
discharge the battery. This will restore it to its regular state.
• Do not allow any metal objects to touch the terminals of the rechargeable battery because
this may cause dangerous short-circuiting.
• Recharge the battery at a temperature of 10°C to 35°C.
Dry cell battery and rechargeable battery:
To prevent damage to the batteries, and to avoid electrolyte leakage, heed the following instructions.
• Align the ª and · polarities properly when inserting the batteries.
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the minidisc player for a long period of time.
• Do not expose the batteries to open flame, and do not short-circuit, disassemble, or subject
them to excessive heat.
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
• When putting dry cell or rechargeable batteries in a pocket or bag, ensure that no other metal
objects, such as necklaces or coins, are placed together with them. Contact with metal may
cause short-circuiting which, in turn, may cause a fire.
• Be absolutely sure to carry the rechargeable battery in the battery carrying case.
The rechargeable battery is designated recyclable.
Please follow your local recycling regulations.
AC adaptor and charger/adaptor
• Handle the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dangerous.
• Do not touch them with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of them.
• Do not forcibly bend them.
• Be sure to use only the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor provided with this minidisc player.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is not going to be used for a
Power Supply Preparations
VOLUME and SKIP / SEARCH button
HOLD / SEARCH/
VOLUME Mode switch
C Headphones jack ( )
D Stop / Play / Pause button (7 3 /8)
E OPEN switch
F HOLD switch
Location of Controls
H Play / Pause button (3/8)
I VOLUME button (+, –)
J Skip / SEARCH button (4 ¢ )
DISP. (Display) button
A.C.BASS (Active Clear Bass)
[Indicators on the remote control display]
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. DANGER: Invisible laser radiation when
open and interlock failed or defeated.
Avoid direct exposure to beam.
3. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover.
There are no user serviceable parts
inside the Unit; leave all servicing to
qualified service personnel.
Using a dry-cell battery (not included)
CAUTION: Do not use a dry-cell battery together with the AC adaptor.
Open the lid of the battery case and insert a LR6 (UM-3) alkaline battery into the bat-
2 Attach the battery case to the minidisc player. (See “Using the AC adaptor”.)
• To lengthen battery life, you can use both the rechargeable battery and a dry-cell battery at
the same time.
Accidental Operation Prevention Function (Hold
This function prevents the minidisc player from operating accidentally.
Both the minidisc player and the remote control have HOLD switches, each of which works
Rotate the remote control switch in the direction shown by the arrow to
activate the HOLD mode.
When the minidisc player is in HOLD mode, no button operation is possible for either the
minidisc player unit or its remote control.
To operate the minidisc player or remote control normally, switch off the HOLD mode.
• When HOLD is released on the remote control, “HELLO” will be displayed in the display
windows, and the music number and its play time will be displayed.
To AC power outlet
Slide the cover and
Insert the battery with its
positive terminal facing
[Minidisc Player Unit]
If the rubber holder on the remote control clip comes off
Insert the clip into the rubber holder, then rotate the clip.
Difference in design depends on
the color selection.
AC adaptor (AA-R9020), Charger/Adaptor
(AC-R124) and rechargeable Ni-MH bat-
tery (BN-R1210 and BN-R127) are audio
equipments for XM-PX55 only.
Firmly close the cover.
This unit has been manufactured with great
precision. Applying a strong shock to the unit
or dropping it may cause a failure: For example,
if you sit down with the unit into a back pocket
of your trousers, it may exert the pressure upon
the unit and may cause a failure.
To AC power outlet
XM-PX5[U](Eng.) 6/21/00, 2:04 PM1