Open as PDF
• Use only Brother TZ tapes with this machine. Do not use tapes that do not have the
• Tapes are available in three different widths: 1/4” (6 mm), 3/8” (9 mm) and 1/2” (12
• Do not pull the tape since this may damage the tape cassettes.
• Do not attempt to cut the tape while printing or feeding since this will damage the
• Do not clean the machine with alcohol or other organic solvents. Use only a soft, dry
• Remove the batteries if you do not intend to use the machine for an extended period
Note: If power is disconnected for more than three minutes, all text shown in the
display and any text files stored in the memory will be lost.
• Do not put any foreign objects into or anything on the machine.
• Do not expose the machine to high temperatures or high humidity. Never leave it on
the dashboard or in the back of your car.
• Do not use the machine in dusty places, and keep it out of both direct sunlight and
• Do not leave any rubber or vinyl on the machine for an extended period of time.
Doing so may cause staining.
• After inserting a new tape cassette, advance the tape by holding down
• Do not touch the print head mechanism. If the head is touched, clean it immediately
with a soft wipe (e.g., a cotton swab) to avoid permanent damage.
• To avoid injuries, do not touch the cutter’s edge.
• To prevent damage during shipment, a clear protective sheet is placed over the LCD
panel. Remove this clear protective sheet before beginning use.
Changing the batteries
Batteries installed incorrectly can overheat and leak. Can result in chemical burns
and machine overheating and damage.
Your machine requires 6 alkaline AAA batteries.
Carefully follow these instructions.
1 Press bumps on top of back cover and open.
2 Pull out tape cassette, if one was installed.
3 Remove batteries, if they were already installed.
4 Hold machine as pictured:
5 Insert six new batteries as follows:
• Insert “+” ends before “-” ends.
• Remove “-” ends before “+” ends.
• Replace all 6 batteries at the same time with new ones.
6 Insert tape cassette.
7 Insert two hooks on bottom end of back cover into slots on bottom
of machine. Push down firmly on cover until it snaps into place.
8 Turn machine on.
If no power, immediately remove batteries and call Brother Customer Service at:
You can view and edit different parts of the text by moving the cursor backward and
● To move the cursor one character at a time, press
● To move the cursor to the beginning of the text, hold down
and press .
● To move the cursor to the end of the text, hold down
and press .
This key can be used to remove characters from your text, clear all of the text or cancel
the current function and return to the text input mode.
● To delete the character to the left of the cursor or to cancel a function, press .
● To clear all of the text that is currently entered, hold down
and press .
As on a word processor, press to add a blank space to your text.
Press when you wish to accept or confirm a setting, or end the first line of text and
start the second.
● To add a second line, press
once. The return mark ( ) appears in the text to
indicate the end of the first line and the beginning of the second.
Note: Two lines of text can only be entered if 3/8” (9-mm)- or 1/2” (12-mm)-wide tape
● To accept or confirm a setting from a list, press once.
You can also choose from a list of other accented characters that can be added to your
if you want the accented character to be an uppercase letter.
To quit the following procedure at any time without making any changes, press .
2 Hold down and press . The message “A-U?” appears in the display.
3 Press the key for the letter in the accented character that you wish to add, and then
and until the cursor is positioned under the desired accented
to add the selected character to your text.
In addition to the letters, symbols, and numerals on and above the keys, there are 72
symbols available with the Symbol function. These symbols are divided into 9 groups,
corresponding to the letters A through I.
. The message “A-I?” appears in the display.
2 Press the key for the letter of the group containing the symbol that you wish to add,
and then press
and until the cursor is positioned under the desired symbol.
3 Press to add the symbol to the text.
With your new PT-1180, you can create labels for any application. Select from the many frames,
character sizes and styles to design beautiful custom labels. In addition, the variety of tape cartridges
available allows you to print labels with different widths and exciting colors.
You no longer have to worry about urgent tasks that require professional printing. In the office, the
factory, the lab or the home, the quality and performance of the PT-1180 make it an extremely practical
Although this machine is easy to use, we suggest that you read this manual carefully before starting and
keep the manual in a handy place for future reference.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B
digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to
provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.
This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not
installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful
interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that
interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause
harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by
turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the
interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the
receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
- Changes or modifications not expressly approved by Brother Industries, Ltd.
could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Printed in China
A TZ tape cassette is supplied with this unit. The Brother TZ tapes used with this machine are
available in a variety of colors and three tape widths (1/4” (6 mm), 3/8” (9 mm) and 1/2” (12 mm)).
1 Press in on the rough area at the top end of the machine and
fold open the back cover.
2 If a tape cassette is already installed, remove it by pulling it
3 If the ink ribbon in the other tape cassette is loose, use your
finger to wind the toothed wheel in the direction of the arrow on
the cassette until there is no slack in the ribbon. Also, make sure
that the end of the tape feeds under the tape guides.
Note: If you are using a new tape cassette provided with a
stopper, be sure to remove the stopper.
4 Insert the tape cassette firmly into the compartment, making
sure that the entire back of the cassette contacts the bottom of
Note: When inserting a tape cassette, make sure that the inner
ribbon does not catch on the corner of the metal guide.
5 Securely close the back cover, making sure that it snaps into place.
6 Feed the tape by holding down
and pressing once,
and then push in the tape cutter lever to cut the tape.
The enclosed lettering stick enables you to easily remove the backing from labels
printed on laminated tapes.
1 Hold the tape in your left hand, with the printed surface facing up, and hold the stick
in your right hand.
2 Pass the tape halfway through the long narrow hole in the stick.
3 Turn the stick three-quarters of a turn towards you and pull the stick away from you
as shown below.
4 Peel off the label backing.
Press . If batteries have been installed or the machine has been plugged in using the
optional AC adapter, the previous session’s information is displayed when the machine is
turned on. This feature allows you to stop work on a label and turn off the machine, then
return to it later without having to re-enter the text.
The machine automatically turns off if no key is pressed within five minutes. The current
session’s information is stored in the machine’s internal memory and displayed when the
machine is later turned on again.
By holding down and pressing a key with a function, character or accent written
above it, you can use the corresponding function or add the corresponding character to
By pressing to enter Caps mode, you can add upper-case letters to your text by
simply pressing the character keys. When this mode is on, the Caps indicator in the top-
left corner of the display comes on. To exit Caps mode, press
until the Caps
indicator goes off.
By pressing to enter Num mode, you can add numbers to your text by simply
pressing the corresponding keys. When this mode is on, the Num indicator in the bottom-
left corner of the display comes on. To exit Num mode, press
until the Num
indicator goes off.
This machine’s LCD shows one row of 8 characters; however, the text that you enter can
be up to 55 characters in length. The 8-character display is like a window which moves
across the text.
Tape cutter lever
Letter Accented character Letter Accented character
A ÀÁÄÂÃÆ a àáäâãæ
C Ç c ç
E ÈÉËÊ e èéëê
I ÍÏÎ i íïî
N Ñ n ñ
O ÓÖÔÕ o óöôõ
U ÙÚÜÛ u ùúüû
Tape exit slot
Patent numbers and patent publication numbers which are related to this product
are as below:
USP4839472 USP4983058 USP5120147
insert ˝+˝ ends
insert ˝+˝ ends